F80 M3: 2012-2018
F82 M4: 2013-2019
KIT OPTIONS: (scroll to view the details of each kit)
- Öhlins “Road and Track” Kit
- 3DM Motorsport Öhlins “Road and Track Kit RTR” (Ready to Run)
- 3DM Motorsport “Road Sport” Kit
- 3DM Motorsport “TrackDay” Kit
- 3DM Motorsport/Öhlins Dedicated Track Kit
- 3DM Motorsport Öhlins TTX Motorsport Kit
WHICH SUSPENSION KIT IS FOR YOU?
Everyone is a little bit different, or perhaps a lot different. Driving styles differ, mechanical skills differ, car upgrade paths differ, the list goes on. Before recommending a kit to someone these are some of the questions we ask…
What is your Personality?Are you a “gearhead” and like to tinker with your suspension or do you like to leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is?
What is the Use Case? How do you use your car… is it a daily driver, occasional “Sunday” driver, a dual duty street/track car, or a dedicated track car?
What level of NVH can you tolerate?
When discussing suspensions, you have probably heard the term NVH which stands for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. For example stiff springs and damper valving can be harsh while spherical bearing mounts can create excessive noise. It is important to remember that other pieces of the suspension puzzle such as differential or subframe bushings can also affect NVH.
We suggest thinking through the answers to the above questions and then browsing our kit options below to see what best fits your needs. We are always an email or phone call away if you have any questions.
COILOVER KIT OPTIONS
Öhlins Road and Track Kit
(Street and Track Optimized)
Öhlins Part Number: BMU MR41 (Supercedes BMS MR40)
3DM Motorsport Part Number: 3DM-P-1053
Shop: BMW M3/M4 (F8X) (2016-2020) Öhlins Road and Track (BMU MR41)
These are the basic kits out of the box and un-assembled. This is what you will find on most other eCommerce sites who drop ship straight from Öhlins.
These kits are designed to use the OEM mounts. Depending on your application, you may need special tools such as a spring compressor to dismantle your old suspension if you intend to reuse the original OEM mounts. Alternately, you can purchase new mounts and the associated specialty hardware before assembly. You will need to be fairly mechanical savvy to install this kit, otherwise we recommend a professional shop perform the install and setup.
Assuming you use OEM mounts, these kits will have factory like NVH. The spring rates are increased so there will be some slight increase in harshness.
- Front struts with lower and upper spring perches
- Rear dampers
- Front Öhlins spring: (Rate: 90 N/mm - 514 lbs/in)
- Rear Öhlins spring: (Rate: 190 N/mm - 1085 lbs/in)
- Rear height adjuster
- Height adjuster wrenches
- Mounting instructions
- Ohlins sticker and plaque book
Öhlins Road and Track RTR Kit
(Ready To Run)
3DM Motorsport Part Number: 3DM-P-1054
Shop: BMW F8X M3/M4 Öhlins "Road and Track RTR" Suspension Kit
These are the Öhlins Road and Track kits pre-assembled with OEM mounts by 3DM Motorsport. They arrive ready to bolt up to your car out of the box. This removes the need to research and source all the pieces yourself. It also reduces the risk of getting caught mid install with an incorrect part. New mounting hardware is also included depending on the application. All ride height settings are set to Öhlins recommended starting points with spring perch jam nuts torqued. You can always request a different setting or change it yourself before install.
In most cases, basic hand tools are all that are needed to install these kits. There should be no need for complicated special tools such as a spring compressor. Every DIY mechanic operates at a different pace but with these kits you will likely cut install time in less than half over a basic kit.
If you are having your favorite shop perform the install, the RTR kits will save you labor costs as well, offsetting the extra cost of the new mounts and hardware. We recommend letting your shop know this setup comes pre-assembled so they can adjust their labor estimate accordingly.
Specifications: (In addition to base Road and Track kit)
- Front spindle clamp hardware
- Front anti roll bar linkage hardware
- Front left/right top mount with hardware and gaskets
- Rear lower shock mounting hardware
- Rear upper shock mounts, hardware, and gasket
3DM Motorsport Road Sport Kit
(Street Focused, Track Friendly)
3DM Motorsport Part Numbers:
-Road Sport Kit (Basic): 3DM-P-1129
-Road Sport Kit (RTR): 3DM-P-1153
Shop: 3DM Motorsport BMW F8X M3/M4 Road Sport Suspension Kit
The 3DM Motorsport “Road Sport” kit is a slightly toned down version of the Öhlins Road and Track Kit yet still packs a punch on twisty back roads and the track. We have reduced the spring rates (Swift Brand) a touch to make commuting to work or cruising around town a little more comfortable. We also took the opportunity to use a shorter spring in the front which allows for a wider wheel fitment. Road testing, track testing, and shaker rig knowledge showed that we needed to re-valve the rear shock to match the rear spring. The front valving worked great so we left that at the “Road and Track” spec.
- Front Swift Spring: 80 N/mm (450 lb/in)
- Rear Swift Spring: 160 N/mm (913 lbs/in)
- Includes original Öhlins 2 year warranty.
- Fully serviceable
- OEM Wheel/tire Fitment. (No spacers required)
- Aftermarket Wheel/Tire Fitment. (No spacers required)
- (Square setup): 18x10 ET25 wheel with 275 wide tires
- Front ride height (center of wheel to fender arch): 363mm
- Rear ride height (center of wheel to fender arch): 350mm
3DM Motorsport Dedicated Track Kit
(Competitive, Not Complicated)
3DM Motorsport Part Number: 3DM-P-1056
Shop: Contact Us
These kits have been designed for cars that see nothing but track use. They are similar in fitment to our TrackDay Series kits but with much higher spring rates and valving to match including a modified Dual Flow Valve setup.
- Front Swift spring: (Rate: 120 N/mm - 685 lbs/in)
- Rear Swift spring: (Rate: 220 N/mm - 1256 lbs/in)
- Camber adjustable, spherical bearing front top mounts
- Front and rear Swift spring thrust sheets
Öhlins TTX Motorsport Kit
(The Ultimate Track Suspension)
Öhlins Part Number: BMV MU20
3DM Motorsport Part Number: 3DM-P-1073
Shop: These kits have been developed, tested, and are currently being manufactured with a release date of late 2020 or early 2021. We can provide a bespoke kit for those looking for something immediately. Contact Us
These are for the serious track car or race car looking for the extra edge. TTX is a twin tube damper that is fully pressure balanced eliminating the risk of cavitation, enabling the use of low gas pressure which keeps friction at bay. The low amount of hysteresis results in excellent short stroke/high force performance.
The TTX 46 strut is featured heavily in GT, sports car and touring car racing. The concept of this damper features a 46 mm solid piston with a through rod of 30 mm, providing a rigid and lightweight strut. To further improve the rigidity, the outer tube is made from a special aluminium alloy.
The TTX 36 damper has an integral reservoir that makes it very compact, there are no external reservoirs or hoses to route around the multi-link rear suspension of the F8X design.
This setup is similar to what is found on the BMW Factory M4 GT4 racecar.
- Comes as 2 way adjustable: Low speed compression and rebound
- Can be upgraded to 3 or 4 way with the addition of high speed adjusters.
- Additional blow off valve available for each damper. The blow off kit reduces peak loads, makes driving over curbs much smoother and in the end saves tires and reduces the risk for flat tires.